Columbia Fire Department wishes you a fire safe 4th of July
Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey D. Jenkins encourages you this holiday weekend to be safety minded when it comes to grilling, fireworks and heat exhaustion by following these safety tips:
Fireworks Safety Tips:
The Columbia Fire Department strongly discourages the use of consumer fireworks, but if you do use fireworks, light them outdoors, away from dry grass.
- Always read and follow labeled directions.
- Have an adult present at all times.
- Never allow children to play, hold or light fireworks.
- Only buy from licensed/permitted dealers.
- Always have water close (a garden hose or a bucket).
- Keep fireworks that are not being used, covered to protect them from accidental fallout from the fireworks display.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
Grilling Safety Tips:
- Never operate grills and other open flame cooking devices on combustible balconies and decks or within 10 feet of a structure
- Set up the grill in open area away from low hanging tree limbs, dry leaves, and brush
- Check hoses and propane tanks for leaks
- Make the area around the grill is a no play zone
- Avoid wearing long hanging clothes
- Never grill inside of garages or carports
- If you use a charcoal grill, purchase the proper starting fluid.
- If you must dispose of the ashes before fully cooled, soak them completely in water before putting them in a non-combustible container.