HOME HEATING FIRES

By: Brick Lewis Posted in Uncategorized

Columbia Fire Department wants to keep you safe and warm this winter.

As outdoor temperatures begin to drop, Chief Aubrey D. Jenkins of the Columbia Fire Department urges citizens of the City of Columbia and Richland County to use caution with heat sources as some also represent a leading cause of U.S. home fires and fire fatalities.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), half of all home-heating fires occur during the winter months. On average, NFPA research shows that heating equipment is involved in more than 62,550 reported U.S. home structure fires per year, with associated loss of more than 516 civilian deaths, more than 1,595 civilian injuries and roughly $924 million in direct property damage per year.

“While these numbers are frightening, nearly all of these fires are preventable,” said Chief Jenkins. “We can reduce the number of home heating fires in our communities be taking some simple precautions and using heating equipment properly.”  By following these basic fire safety precautions and making small modifications, you can greatly reduce the risk of home heating fires.

  • All heaters need space. Keep things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
  • Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instruction. Have a qualified professional install the equipment.
  • Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.  CO poisoning can cause illness and even death.
  • Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
  • Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
  • Turn space heaters off when you leave a room or go to sleep.        
  • Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
  • Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations, and flammable materials.
  • Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces. Leave glass doors open while burning a fire.
  • Keep air inlets on wood stoves open, and never restrict air supply to fireplaces. Otherwise you may cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire.
×

Comments are closed.